Home to the legendary
Champions Golf Club
By KIM JACKSON CHRONICLE CORRESPONDENT
Golf forms nucleus of Champions
Few neighborhoods in northwest Harris County
have a story like Champions.
At its nucleus is the Champions Golf Club.
Many Champions residents say the real estate
boom that took hold of northwest Harris County area in the
1960s and 1970s would probably ave been delayed by
several years if Champions Golf Club founders and golfing
legends Jackie Burke Jr. and the late Jimmy Demaret
had not made the decision in 1955 to buy
the 500-acre site that would blossom into the
Champions Golf Club.
Surrounding the Champions Golf Club and two 18-hole golf courses is the
Champions subdivision, which is divided into six sections of homes
constructed during a 20-year period. Champions Northwest and West
launched in 1960; Champions North in 1961, Champions South in 1965,
Champions East in 1966 and Champions Way in 1976.